Most of you reading this blog have probably shown cattle that you raised or helped raise cattle at some point in your life. There are 4-H steers and heifers to raise and prepare for the summer show, and breaking bulls for consignment sales. Such a great way to learn responsibility as a kid, washing them bonding with them. We, at one point, fell in love with the beef cattle industry in spite of the hurt of being in last place and because of the pride of a championship.
No matter what you circuit you are part of, there are always a few competitors who don’t always follow the rules. It is never flattering when an industry or sport is highlighted in the media for performance-boosting drugs. The livestock-show circuit is no different than the rest.
Performance-boosting drugs are banned in most human competitions but generally allowed on the livestock-show circuit. Muscle-building livestock drugs are often added into animal feed. Beta-agonists, such as Zilmax, are approved by the feds and are allowed on the and generally allowed on the livestock-show circuit.
Regardless, there livestock shows are something that I love to attend and something fun to participate in or observe. You can find one in almost any city.
I flew to Miami to attend the Annual Miami International Agriculture, Horse & Cattle Show. It was so much fun – educational booths, life music, dog and horse shows, etc. We even found a limo service in Miami to take us there and back. What a blast. I bet you didn’t know that Florida’s cattle ranches is about a fifth of the state land. It helps to protect protects wildlife, but very few know much about it.
Florida’s cattle ranchers strong stewardship has preserved thousands of acres of pristine native range and pasture land across the state of Florida. Generations will benefit if the ranchlands remain.
Here is a list of a few:
- 4G Ranch
- Adams Ranch
- The Andersons Inc.
- Ard, Shirley & Rudolph
- Babcock Ranch
- The Balmoral Group
- Blackbeard’s Ranch
List of a few Florida Livestock shows:
- Baker County Fair September 30 – October 8, 2016 Macclenny bakercountyfair.com
- Northwest Florida Fair September 27 – October 1, 2016 Fort Walton Beach www.nwffair.com
- Walton County Fair October 3-8, 2016 DeFuniak Springs www.waltoncountyfair.com (
- Central Panhandle Fair October 3-8, 2016 Panama City www.bayfairgrounds.com Northeast Florida Fair October 13-23, 2016 Callahan www.neflfair.org
- Pensacola Interstate Fair October 20-30, 2016 Pensacola www.pensacolafair.com (Greater Hillsborough County Fair October 20-30, 2016 Dover www.hillsboroughcountyfair.com
- Alachua County Fair October 21-29, 2016 Gainesville alachuacofair.org
Hope you enjoy the shows!